Ghafari Process Controls/Electrical - Senior Project Engineer in Dearborn, Michigan
Works independently to prepare and manage the development of all controls related project deliverables, ensures project deliverable quality, develop and maintain client relationships, and perform required project related and corporate administrative tasks. The Process Controls Senior Project Engineer provides leadership, manages small projects, leads and participates in meetings, provides feedback to management, engineering and project team members, mentors and directs other engineers, and is responsible for control system related engineering calculations, control system concepts, design development and implementation.
Essential Job Functions:
• Understand mechanical systems and manufacturing processes for which control systems will be designed. Influence mechanical designs where necessary for controls considerations. Mechanical systems include paint and coating applications including process & purchased equipment, line display equipment, fluid handling and fill equipment, pneumatic and hydraulic applications as well as conveyors and material handling equipment and high speed sortation.
• Understand and be familiar with National and Local Electrical and Safety Codes & Standards.
• Understand and be familiar with Client Electrical and safety Codes & Standards.
• Participate in presentations, and project proposal and estimating efforts.
• Responsible for completion of all project deliverables as it relates to cost and schedule.
• Understand, generate and work with contract documents and project records.
• Participate with project team and client to prepare or edit project specifications and reports in both textual and graphical formats.
• Design operation concepts and requirements, general system flows and detailed sequence of operations.
• Specify and design control systems and power distribution systems, including demolition, new and rework.
• Specify and design hardwired and software based machine level control systems. Produce complete documentation drawing package.
• Specify requirements for PLC and PC programming and related purchased software.
• Specify and design HMI screen/display arrangements and requirements.
• Develop schematic designs and specify Network systems for communication and control.
• Develop schematic designs and specify upper level production support systems (FMCS, PFS, QAS, PDS, AVI, etc.).
• Specify and design power distribution to and within production and process equipment. Perform calculations and designs relative to diversity factors, bus loading, voltage drops, circuit protection and coordination, feed sizing, distribution equipment sizing, etc.
• Specify and design lighting systems for industrial production applications.
• Provide detailed engineering estimates for control systems and related installation work.
• Provide project scheduling input for control systems implementation.
• Perform peer reviews of engineering materials to ensure deliverable quality.
• Track and communicate project status, both internally and externally.
• Review and approve contractor engineering submittals and drawings.
• Review and approve fabrication facilities and production equipment prior to shipment to site.
• Manage technical resources, including internal and external engineering, contractors, vendors and skilled trades to complete projects in a timely manner.
• Manage system start-up, debug and testing, and provide system review and punch-listing.
• Produce, or review and approve system as-built/as-installed drawings.
• Perform and manage field checking of existing equipment, sites and facilities.
• Must be able to travel and accept field assignments to promote project success.
• Provide technical direction and coaching to other team members and discipline members.
• Prefer Bachelor Degree in an engineering discipline from an accredited university.
• Prefer minimum of 10 years of related work experience.
• Proficient in AutoCAD, MS Outlook, basic MS Excel (calculations, functions, sorting, formatting), MS Word (basic formatting).
• Experience in conveyor controls and/or paint process controls design and engineering. This includes PLC architectures, control panel design, general arrangements of systems including maintenance access, etc.
• Previous Automatic Vehicle Identification (AVI), Bar Code Scanners, Quality Audit systems (QAS) and Plant Floor Systems (PFS) and electrical power distribution experience preferred.
• Previous experience with PLC’s (e.g., Allen Bradley Control Logix family, Siemens S series), networks (Profibus, Ethernet, DeviceNet, etc.) and related software required.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
Ghafari is a global engineering, architecture, process design, consulting, and construction services firm driven to understand and meet the distinct needs of every client. For nearly forty years, we have taken a personal approach to highly technical projects in complex markets. By blending insight with technological innovation, we help clients elevate their efficiency, sustainability, and impact.
Our full-service, in-house team works together to meet the unique demands of each project. Working side by side, market experts and discipline leaders exchange insights to uncover new opportunities for efficiency. This rigorous collaboration allows us to bridge smart design with precise functionality.
Ghafari was founded on the promise of technological innovation. Today, we are recognized as a pioneer in adopting and standardizing the latest advancements in our field. We aim to remain at the forefront of our industry and create ever-smarter spaces that help clients navigate new demands within their field.
Join our team and work on forward-thinking projects around the world.
Ghafari Associates, LLC is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer and is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities in the employment application process. If you need an accommodation due to a disability in order to use our online system to apply for a position at Ghafari Associates, LLC, you may apply for positions in the following ways:
Connect to our job portal (https://ghafari.jobs)
By fax at 313.436.8624; Attn: Human Resources
By mail at 17101 Michigan Avenue, Dearborn, MI 48126; Attn: Human Resources
In person at 17101 Michigan Avenue, Dearborn, MI 48126.
By email at email@example.com
If there are any questions or additional accommodations that are required, please contact 313.441.3000 for assistance.
It is Ghafari Associates, LLC’s policy not to discriminate in its employment and personnel practices because of a person’s race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, age, weight, height, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a qualified individual with a disability or a protected veteran, or any other classification protected by federal, state or local law or ordinance.
Job ID 2020-1438
Job Location US-MI-Dearborn