Ghafari Mechanical Engineer (HVAC) in Chicago, Illinois
The Mechanical Engineer E4 will provide, revise or extend mechanical systems for new construction and/or renovation of industrial, commercial or institutional structures as requested by the client. The Mechanical Engineer E4 will develop construction drawings and specifications, which address the installation, integration, interconnection and control of mechanical components within the standard building codes.
Essential Job Functions:
• Review and/or establish project scope, mechanical budget, necessary constraints and design approach with project manager and/or client
• Proper communication skills to be involved in design team / owner meetings and communicate directly with the owner and / or owner’s representative
• Prepare feasibility studies and project cost estimates
• Maintain working knowledge of latest building codes and standards used in the industry
• Formulate and lead design of mechanical systems including HVAC, piping, plumbing, and fire protection for both commercial and industrial buildings
• Able to prepare controls drawings, sequence of operations and control points. Familiar with PLC controls is also a plus
• Project experience in food industry with proper system hygienic applications
• Perform and/or review calculations and energy models; formulate design of mechanical systems including HVAC, piping, plumbing, and fire protection
• Must be proficient in creating engineering documents using computer aided design (CAD) technology utilizing Autodesk Revit CAD software (2D and 3D applications)
• Edit or draft project specifications
• Conduct field measuring and checking at the construction site
• Review drawings for omissions, errors, interferences, overall quality, content accuracy, compliance with standards and codes
• Review product submittals for design content (shop drawings), specify action to be taken to reach specification compliance
• Maintain organized project files containing project calculations, correspondence, appropriate reference materials, etc.
• Prepare project file updates, transmittals, letters, reports, requests for reproduction services
• Assist with checking, standards review, and maintenance of master specifications
• Perform production and quality monitoring of construction documents per company standards individually and/or for less experienced staff
• Develop and mentor less experienced staff
• Performs related duties as assigned
• Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering
• Professional Registration - PE in Illinois required
• LEED accredited professional preferred
• 10+ years of related experience in mechanical engineering (HVAC/building systems)
• Proficiency with Autodesk CAD (Revit and AutoCAD) CAD software, Navisworks, Trane Trace 700, Microsoft Office (emphasis in Word and Excel) and BIM 360
• Excellent written and verbal communication
• Strong attention to detail
• This position requires the ability to perform the essential job functions contained in this job description. These include, but are not limited to, the following requirements:
o Ability to spend most of an 8-hour day sitting, standing and walking at the office
o Ability to travel to other locations and client sites
• Reasonable accommodations will be made for otherwise qualified applicants unable to fulfill one or more of these requirements
Ghafari is a global engineering, architecture, process design, consulting, and construction services firm driven to understand and meet the distinct needs of every client. For nearly forty years, we have taken a personal approach to highly technical projects in complex markets. By blending insight with technological innovation, we help clients elevate their efficiency, sustainability, and impact.
Our full-service, in-house team works together to meet the unique demands of each project. Working side by side, market experts and discipline leaders exchange insights to uncover new opportunities for efficiency. This rigorous collaboration allows us to bridge smart design with precise functionality.
Ghafari was founded on the promise of technological innovation. Today, we are recognized as a pioneer in adopting and standardizing the latest advancements in our field. We aim to remain at the forefront of our industry and create ever-smarter spaces that help clients navigate new demands within their field.
Join our team and work on forward-thinking projects around the world.
Ghafari Associates, LLC is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer and is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities in the employment application process. If you need an accommodation due to a disability in order to use our online system to apply for a position at Ghafari Associates, LLC, you may apply for positions in the following ways:
Connect to our job portal (https://ghafari.jobs)
By fax at 313.436.8624; Attn: Human Resources
By mail at 17101 Michigan Avenue, Dearborn, MI 48126; Attn: Human Resources
In person at 17101 Michigan Avenue, Dearborn, MI 48126.
By email at firstname.lastname@example.org
If there are any questions or additional accommodations that are required, please contact 313.441.3000 for assistance.
It is Ghafari Associates, LLC’s policy not to discriminate in its employment and personnel practices because of a person’s race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, age, weight, height, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a qualified individual with a disability or a protected veteran, or any other classification protected by federal, state or local law or ordinance.
Job ID 2021-1479
Job Location US-IL-Chicago