Ghafari Electrical Designer (Telecommunication) in Chicago, Illinois
The Electrical Designer D2, with direct supervision from the senior staff and/or the Manager of Electrical Engineering, will provide electrical analysis, design and drafting skills to develop lighting, power and control systems and low voltage systems. This includes IT, fire alarm and emergency communication systems for new construction and/or renovation of industrial, commercial, educational, governmental and healthcare structures in conformance to client requirements and standards and applicable codes.
Essential Job Functions:
• Create engineering documents using computer aided design (CAD) technology utilizing Autodesk Revit and/or AutoCAD.
• Work closely with architects and engineers during design phase of project to understand project scope of work.
• Possess / demonstrate the engineering knowledge and understanding to design and analyze electrical systems for the installation, interconnection, and control of architectural, electrical and mechanical components using applicable codes and standards, including lighting & power distribution systems, lighting control systems, power monitoring systems, sizing of equipment, etc.
• Possess / demonstrate the engineering knowledge and understanding to design or analyze design requirements for telecommunication, fire alarm, security , emergency communication systems and networks utilizing applicable BICSI, ANSI/TIA/EIA standards and NFPA -72.
• Possess/demonstrate knowledge to coordinate design requirements for telecommunication, fire alarm, security, emergency communication systems with architecture and other MEP disciplines.
• Prepare schematic and detailed design packages for electrical systems, including lighting, power and control systems.
• Provide CAD support to more senior staff.
• Perform calculations on the lighting, electrical power, and IT/Security and emergency communication systems.
• Communicate and work with all other disciplines to produce coordinated construction documents.
• Conduct field measuring and checking at project site.
• Maintain organized project file containing project calculations, schedules, correspondence, appropriate reference materials, etc.
• Review and/or establish project scope, electrical budget, design approach, and applicable constraints with the Project Engineer or Supervisor as appropriate
• Perform related duties as assigned.
• Associate’s degree in Electrical Engineering or a related field required; Bachelor’s degree preferred
• 2 - 6 years of related experience in power distribution/lighting design, data, telecommunication, fire alarm and security engineering field.
• Possess the Engineer-In-Training Certification from any of the 50 states (preferred)
• Proficiency in Revit, AutoCAD, and Bluebeam preferred
• Knowledge/Basic Proficiency in AGI32 or equal, SKM or equal and BIM 360 preferred
• Excellent written and verbal communication
• Strong attention to detail
• This position requires the ability to perform the essential job functions contained in this job description. These include, but are not limited to, the following requirements:
o Ability to spend most of an 8-hour day sitting, standing and walking at the office
o Ability to travel to other locations and client sites
• Reasonable accommodations will be made for otherwise qualified applicants unable to fulfill one or more of these requirements
Ghafari is a global engineering, architecture, process design, consulting, and construction services firm driven to understand and meet the distinct needs of every client. For nearly forty years, we have taken a personal approach to highly technical projects in complex markets. By blending insight with technological innovation, we help clients elevate their efficiency, sustainability, and impact.
Our full-service, in-house team works together to meet the unique demands of each project. Working side by side, market experts and discipline leaders exchange insights to uncover new opportunities for efficiency. This rigorous collaboration allows us to bridge smart design with precise functionality.
Ghafari was founded on the promise of technological innovation. Today, we are recognized as a pioneer in adopting and standardizing the latest advancements in our field. We aim to remain at the forefront of our industry and create ever-smarter spaces that help clients navigate new demands within their field.
Join our team and work on forward-thinking projects around the world.
Ghafari Associates, LLC is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer and is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities in the employment application process. If you need an accommodation due to a disability in order to use our online system to apply for a position at Ghafari Associates, LLC, you may apply for positions in the following ways:
Connect to our job portal (https://ghafari.jobs)
By fax at 313.436.8624; Attn: Human Resources
By mail at 17101 Michigan Avenue, Dearborn, MI 48126; Attn: Human Resources
In person at 17101 Michigan Avenue, Dearborn, MI 48126.
By email at firstname.lastname@example.org
If there are any questions or additional accommodations that are required, please contact 313.441.3000 for assistance.
It is Ghafari Associates, LLC’s policy not to discriminate in its employment and personnel practices because of a person’s race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, age, weight, height, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a qualified individual with a disability or a protected veteran, or any other classification protected by federal, state or local law or ordinance.
Job ID 2021-1489
Job Location US-IL-Chicago