Ghafari Architectural Specifications Writer in Chicago, Illinois
Job Title: Specifications Writer
Job Type: Full-Time
Location: Chicago, IL (Could also accommodate Dearborn, MI, Indianapolis, IN or Birmingham, AL)
Reports To: Manager, Architecture/Lead Specifications Writer
General Summary: The Specifications Writer, with some direction from the Lead Specifications Writer and/or Manager of Architecture, coordinates the preparation of specifications (establishing material requirements and describing installation) for all disciplines; establishes and maintains office standard specifications.
Essential Job Functions:
• Work with Project Managers, architects and engineers to prepare specifications for construction documents.
• Coordinate and expedite specification preparation among the disciplines; coordinate word processing support to produce final specification documents to meet project schedules.
• Conduct technical investigation of products, materials and construction methods.
• Review selected complex submittals for conformance with contract documents.
• Ensure compliance with related codes and regulations imposed by governing authorities.
• Prepare written portion of addenda and bulletins relating to specifications.
• Gather on-site data pertinent to the preparation of specifications.
• Prepare contract conditions, general and bidding requirements as required.
• Revise, maintain, and establish new standard specifications required for a given custom assignment.
• Establish and update procedures related to the maintenance of job files.
• Efficiently use client master specification editing software.
• Organize and maintain master keynote list.
• Participate in CSI Classes and Programs.
• Perform related duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s degree in Architecture, Engineering or Construction Management
• Registered Architect preferred
• CDT, CCCA, and/or CCS accreditation preferred
Experience: 10+ years' experience as a Project Architect, Field Architect (CA) or writing construction specification documents in architectural/engineering industry
• Knowledge of Master Spec, Master Works, SpecsIntact and Microsoft Office applications
• Excellent written and oral communication skills
Ghafari is a global engineering, architecture, process design, consulting, and construction services firm driven to understand and meet the distinct needs of every client. For nearly forty years, we have taken a personal approach to highly technical projects in complex markets. By blending insight with technological innovation, we help clients elevate their efficiency, sustainability, and impact.
Our full-service, in-house team works together to meet the unique demands of each project. Working side by side, market experts and discipline leaders exchange insights to uncover new opportunities for efficiency. This rigorous collaboration allows us to bridge smart design with precise functionality.
Ghafari was founded on the promise of technological innovation. Today, we are recognized as a pioneer in adopting and standardizing the latest advancements in our field. We aim to remain at the forefront of our industry and create ever-smarter spaces that help clients navigate new demands within their field.
Join our team and work on forward-thinking projects around the world.
Ghafari Associates, LLC is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer and is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities in the employment application process. If you need an accommodation due to a disability in order to use our online system to apply for a position at Ghafari Associates, LLC, you may apply for positions in the following ways:
Connect to our job portal (https://ghafari.jobs)
By fax at 313.436.8624; Attn: Human Resources
By mail at 17101 Michigan Avenue, Dearborn, MI 48126; Attn: Human Resources
In person at 17101 Michigan Avenue, Dearborn, MI 48126.
By email at firstname.lastname@example.org
If there are any questions or additional accommodations that are required, please contact 313.441.3000 for assistance.
It is Ghafari Associates, LLC’s policy not to discriminate in its employment and personnel practices because of a person’s race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, age, weight, height, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a qualified individual with a disability or a protected veteran, or any other classification protected by federal, state or local law or ordinance.
Job ID 2019-1359
Job Location US-IL-Chicago